Tuesday, January 15, 2008

All is Well and Sweet Sunday Story

Wow, it's getting harder & harder to post these days. I feel this intense obligation though, to let all my worried friends and family know what's going on, so let me start by reassuring you all that she's fine. She tested negative for C-Diff today (after about 8 days of antibiotic), which means she may be able to break out of isolation over the next few days, but we are kind of hoping to just duck down and stay right here in our decorated, toddler toy-filled private room as we may be going home in as little as 8 days (just a prediction). Her attitude is as great as ever. She has the language skills of a 3 and 1/2 year old, easily (the articulation still needs some work, which is frustrating sometimes for her...."No mom, I said, 'Yesterday when RoseMarie came in, she gave me a stepping stone kit'."). She serenades anyone who will listen with "You are my sunshine" or "Moon, moon, moon". She laughs, dances, plays chase around the obstacles we set up in the room, balances on the beam, bounces on the trampoline (brought by the PT a few days a week), climbs the "apparatus" (jungle-gym style contraption made out of PVC pipes/connectors lent to us by her "Grandma Rose"), does somersaults (by HERSELF), and begs to be tickled/wrestled with (I need to watch this....she got an awful couple of bruises from doing this on low platelets the other night). We play flashlight games in the dark, lay in the tent propped up on pillows reading funny stories, unwrap and cut up straws and stick 'em in playdoh, do puzzles, watch movies, and read read read. Lately her favorite game is to give me big loud smacky kisses all over my face....each one gets a "Smack-a-Roni!" or a "Smack-a-Doodle!" or other variation and she giggles like all get out. She's every nurses dream patient, and a parent's dream baby. She had a wonderful 2nd birthday here at the hospital. Cici (the M-Th nurses' aide who makes our lives soooooooo much easier and whom Jillian sees as her total equal), drove up to the hospital from Lynnwood with her family to see Jill, who was sleeping (darnit!)....she made authentic yummy food from her native home, El Salvador (she brought a plate in for me today as I missed the feast, having to take Anna home after we opened presents---she needed a nap), and MAN, did it make me want to move to El Salvador. Anyway, my Aunt Susie & Cousin Linda were in town for the big day. They helped Anna make 4 dozen cupcakes (so cutely decorated), 3 dozen of which we gave to the nurses/other patients...and 5 of which Jillian iced herself Sunday & Monday to give to favorite staff who weren't here on Saturday (she gave the most sprinkles to John, the custodian who comes around every night at 11pm and makes all over Jill.....he's the coolest). The Child Life Team really did it up for her, making a brilliant birthday Wizard of Oz themed sign (from which Jill could not pull herself away to open presents...seriously...."No I don't want pesents, I want to yut at Dorsee.") and showering her with gifts, (she just now, today, finally opened the last one....whew!). It was better than we could've ever expected, and so appreciated.

Earlier in the day on that Saturday, I went to the Blood Drive that was organized by our 17 year old babysitter, Kristin. It was once again, absolutely thrilling to be around so many fabulously caring people. Among the attendees that I was able to talk to in the hour and a half I was there were, a 19 year old guy Anna & I met at Vons the night before (he blew up Jill's balloons) who had a good friend in H.S. pass away from cancer. He walked up to the drive and called me on Monday to tell me he had researched how he could donate platelets to other hospitals he could easily get to (in lieu of being able to donate directly to her).......a breast cancer survivor who showed up early to decorate San Pedro with flyers (after seeing our story on the news on Friday) and excitedly informed me that her husband, who works down on the docks, is interested in hosting a Bone Marrow Drive.....many friends and friends of friends, and complete strangers......so many stories, so much love. Kristin called me later in the day to report that they had over 150 blood donors that day (which is HUGE) and 30 bone marrow donors! The staff who ran the drive were all so dynamic and enthusiastic and compassionate. I didn't realize that if we set up blood drives directly through Miller Children's Hospital, they coordinate with the National Bone Marrow Registry to bring in bone marrow donors and the registration fees are completely waived......I am, in a big way, glad that we didn't know this though, because of all of the good that has come of the many fundraisers that have been held to raise $$ for those fees (and the awareness that has been risen because of them).....but looking forward, we are getting smarter about how to meet this need. And we'll do it again! And again. And again. We are all in this together now. What a life-saving journey we've begun.......my friends, my friends.......wow.

It was so wonderful to have my family out this past week. I got to catch up with my cousin, whom I haven't really ever known (we are far apart in age, and she moved away when I was in highschool), and got to know my aunt on a level I never would've known her otherwise. And boy, did she work her magic at my house! I am the clutter queen no longer! Every room in my house has been transformed....it's amazing how I was under-utilizing space! I haven't been home to see the final results of her labor (I've been here at the hospital since Sunday night), but have heard from Matt that I should get prepared. She even hung up PICTURES! A task I've been putting off since we moved in 2 and 1/2 years ago!

So, I'm skipping a bunch of stuff, but I do have to tell one story. Remember my blog entry about Anna wanting to go to church (I ended it with "Maybe Anna can help us all to Go Tell it On the Mountain")? Well, since then, I've gotten her involved in the Sunday school at Holy Trinity Parish (which I am in total love with!!). She loves the teacher & other students & seems to fit right in. She let me leave her by herself this last Sunday (her 2nd time, and my first to attend Mass, in oh, some 8 years....give or take a Christmas service with my parents). Susie came with me. The homily was all about Baptism, which I found to be really sweet, as I have been giving serious thought to having the girls baptized soon. Msgr. Joe was so charasmatic and funny. He joyfully and boisterously sang right along to every song throughout the service, clapping and dancing in his chair (the choir was so beautiful). He called the hospital the week before to speak with me about a visit to my house, but said he'd be out of town for 3 weeks, so I was so happy to be at the last Mass he was to give before leaving town (I didn't know this...he told me after Mass that he was leaving that evening). Anyway, so I was moved....so moved.....just hearing all of the prayers, remembering them, smelling the smells, feeling at one with my people, my family of Catholics who I have been hiding from....there were so many of them!....I was so surprised at the diversity, I don't know why....yes, I do....because I'm from the MidWest and our parish was 90% Caucasian, so I guess I saw it as the White Man's Church....what an idiot....the "peace be with you's", the smiles, the being there with my aunt, the sheer comfort....it was just so relieving. I held back tears the entire time. I listened really closely to every word.....unlike how I remember Mass.....trying to stay awake, tuning out, not feeling connected to this prayer I spent hours memorizing in the 3rd grade.....and it made me feel happy to be Catholic. It made sense. I started feeling excited at the idea that Matt may be willing to do RCIA (classes for people who would like to become Catholic) with me as his "sponsor" so that I can learn more about this religion I was raised in......maybe that can be our date night and we can grow closer to each other through God and our faith-community....oooh, the possibilities! Back to reality.....at the end of the service, the cantor announced, "Please open your Song Book to Page 232" and the music started............................................................................

"Go, Tell it on the Mountain.....over the hills and everywhere......"

Shut. Up.

Susie and I just looked at each other and started cracking up. No way. This is too big of a sign. Ya know? Boy did we move and grove to that hymn. People probably thought we were crazy Baptists in the wrong damn church. We were shakin' our booties and clappin' our hands, belting out that tune like it had never been sung. That's it. I'm Catholic.

When we picked Anna up from Sunday school, I told her about that song. She asked me how it went. I sang the starting line....she stopped me. "I know Mommy. Stop. 'Go tell it on the mountain, all the livelong day.....go tell it on the mountain, just to pass the time away" Which are lyrics from "I've Been Working on the Railroad". My Grandpa Hunn (Susie's Daddy) was a train fanatic. We decided without a second guess that Anna's lyrics were Grandpa giving us kisses from Heaven. You might think it's a stretch, but Grandma knows.

Don't you Grandma?

3 comments:

Elle said...

Michelle and Matt,
Thanks for the updates! I truly appreciate you taking time to write these, Michelle. We send big hugs to ya'll from here Texas!! We love you.

Eldris and family

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for your inspirational and honest updates. Being a lapsed Catholic, you actually have me thinking of going back to mass-- at your new church. Huxley and I were at Miller's on Sunday. Although we could not go into her room, I held him up to her window so he could "waive" to her. I know he misses playing with Jillian and Anna.

Liz ( Huxley's mom)

Cindy Evans said...

Michelle,

I am crying as I read this. You are going through so much, I can't imagine. Jillian is so special...she just HAS to be okay. Life can not be this cruel. I think of you often and pray for your family.

Rhonda and I would like to come on a weekend and help entertain Jillian (although I'm not sure who would be doing the entertaining :) ) to give you some much needed time. If we all lived life the way Jillian did, wow..she is special.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. It's not fair :(

Love,

Cindy Evans