Monday, December 31, 2007

Who's the Sickie?

So, chemo this time, has taken a greater toll on Jill's body than either time before......quite understandably.....it builds up in her system & just gets harder for her body to take. She has been throwing up every morning & has developed a rash from one of the drugs that just doesn't go away (they can't stop the drug, so they just try to control the symptoms of the allergy). Sounds bad, but it's amazing to watch her bounce back from the tough stuff. She shovels handfuls of scrambled eggs into her mouth every morning (don't ask me how it is that she actually LIKES hospital eggs...I swear, they don't come from real chickens), then looks at me like, "wait, this wasn't what I thought it was" and spits them all out, then says, "Dat's DOSE! Dat's Nasee! (That's gross, that's nasty)", repeating what I say to her every time she does that (but maybe she's referring to the eggs). She'll do this like, 3-4 times until she realizes that she doesn't like eggs anymore. At least not when they taste like metal (which is what most chemo patients say food tastes like while they're on it). Anyway, then she starts to whimper, "Mommy, hode my hand. My body hurts." She barfs, we clean up, then she's out running up & down the halls, dancing with the nurses, practicing balancing on one foot (using the "ballet bar" in the hallway...one of her favorite nurses, Janel, has shown her how to lift one leg up onto the bar & stretch....I'm doing most of the work, it seems, as she's too short to reach the bar), dressing up as various princesses, Dorothy, random crazy people (tap shoes, tutu, & bunny ears, strawberry-shaped sunglasses, Mardi Gras beads, and a magic wand), and pretending I'm "Ryan" & she's "Sharpay" (characters from Anna's new favorite movie, "High School Musical"). Last night, we pretended we were various ocean creatures in the hallway (until about 11 pm)....she was a nice fishie & I was a shark taking bites out of her tail, I was an octopus & she was a seahorse going up & down, and up & down..."Oh no! I dot tandled in you leds! (I got tangled in your legs)". The energy on this one is no match for the fatigue chemo (supposedly) brings on. So, she's fine. And time is flying. Sort of.....kind of depends. I fear the next few weeks are going to creep by as I am her sole playbuddy at least 5 full days a week. Once again, we are open to visitors (especially during the week), if you are pretty sure you're in good health. The next week, especially, as her WBC's have not dropped to zero yet. She'll be unhooked for at least a few hours a day...if I know a friend is visiting, we can try to time the freedom with the friend. Give me a call either on my cell or the hospital phone (we still have our own room 562-933-8327).

Anna is doing much better.....she & I had a break through the other night.....she wanted to pretend that I was a 4 year-old friend who had a sister in the hospital with cancer & she & I talked/played for about 40 minutes with me in this role. It was a bit like "play therapy"....I asked her (in my best kidspeak) if she ever thought her mom was too busy to pay attention to her & she said, "Yeah." I asked her what she did when she felt like her mom wasn't listening to her, & she said, "I sometimes say mean things or do stuff she doesn't like." I didn't try to teach a moral lesson when she said this, but just tried (as her little friend) to identify with her....or I would just not talk about it at all & play like a 4 year-old with her. It was hard for her to let me transition back to Mommy (she was so into it, I told her I was cold & she took me down to her "mom's" room & showed me where she (I) keeps her (my) sweaters...."I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you borrowed one....oh look! It fits you perfectly!"). The next day, we spent so much quality time together....I stayed off the phone & followed her lead....didn't rush her.....let her be herself rather than some stressed out, rushed, other child of mine. She revelled in this role. It was nice, for both of us. And when she acted out....one time hitting me on the leg when I didn't respond immediately to a request, I completely ignored the behavior....I asked her what she wanted for dinner right after she did it, in a very nonchalant way, & she barked, "I don't want dinner from YOU! Uh!!!" and stormed off to her room, slamming the door. I went about my business, & when she realized she wasn't getting ANY attention for it, she came out & said, "Um, chicken nuggets would be great." I refrained from talking to her about her behavior & just really pretended like I didn't notice it. It worked. Not to say it will always work, or that I'll always be able to hold back from trying to "teach her a lesson", but maybe the lesson was learned without me getting on my preachy chair & letting her know who was boss. Amazing.

At the hospital last night, Jill & Anna raced up & down the hall on their respective vehicles (the playroom now has 2 tricycles...Jill can't quite figure them out, but Anna is in Speed Heaven). She had a tattoo on her arm from a packet she got a few nights ago, welcoming her into the "Super Sib" Club.....an organization started by a mom of a child with cancer to recognize the siblings of those who are sick & make them feel important. Anna proudly announced to all the nurses, "I'm a Super Sib!" and pointed out her tattoo. It wasn't long before Jill began telling the same nurses, "I'm a Super Sib, too!" Anna started hearing Jill say this and quickly rushed down the hall, pulled her trike right in front of Jill's car & stated, most emphatically, "No, Jillian. You're not a Super Sib. You're a Sick Sister." Although this is true, in theory, we're not convinced.

Happy New Year Everyone!

6 comments:

Sandra Avila said...

Thank God for moments of truth and truce in play. It can be so hard to bite your tongue when you really want to say something to your child. But Anna surely needs that space right now.

The Super Sib idea is great. Maybe that will make this easier for Anna too, knowing that she is not alone.

Sorry that Jilli has to have yucky, "dose" metalic tasting eggs and everything.

Happy New Year. See you real soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for letting me come and visit. Jillian was such a sweetie. I enjoyed having Jillian dry our hair. She was so adorable and pleasant to be around. When you say she has energy-you really meant it, it does show. Please let her know that I enjoyed playing with the house and superman with her. It was great. Lots of hugs. Sonia

Deb Baumgartner said...

Hi Michelle and Matt!
Let me know when you will have a break in visitors. I am hoping that I have enough vacation time saved up to come visit and help out for a week. I hear that you are expecting Ann and a few other "Hunns" to visit soon. I want to be there when I can be the most help. So let me know when is good for you, ok? (Did Jill get the hat? the magazine?) Love y'all! Happy New Year! Aunt Deb

Anonymous said...

You do not know me, and you may not even know the person who forwarded me your sweet, sweet girl's site. But, I do read along, and God bless you and your family! I am crying like a baby as I type. I am so sorry for what your family has to endure. You sound like a wonderful mother to me! The interaction you had with Anna was priceless. Just know, you have prayers coming from a stranger in St. Louis (St. Peters) Missouri. God bless! Katie Carpenter

Matt&Michelle said...

Hi Katie (Carpenter)...no, I don't know you, but thank you for the sweet comment....who sent you the link (just curious)? You can email me directly at squashdiddlydoo@msn.com.

Anonymous said...

It's been a few days since you posted. I hope that you, your family, and Jill are doing as best as possible. Better even! (Hopefully). I'd prefer to remain anonymous, but I wanted to let you know that I pray for her everyday. You were one of the speech therapists for my little brother at Hickory, by the way. That's how I know this site :) I also wanted to let you know that I've registered as a bone marrow donor and give blood and platelets every chance I get (in honor of Jill and all the children I wish I could personally help). Anyhow, take care.