Saturday, November 17, 2007

My Funny Valentine

It is 5:15 am. The fluorescent lights, incessant beeping, constant opening & slamming of doors(okay, slamming, probably not, but it sure sounds loud when you're in the middle of a dream sequence), running (storm drain style) water, Christian music (looping looping looping..."I exalt thee"....oh, could we do that when the sun's up, please?), & miscellaneous noises from behind the curtain (I will spare you descriptions) are just some of the many reasons I am awake 3 hours before I was hoping this would happen. Why do I need sleep? I'll tell you.

BECAUSE JILL IS A MANIAC!!!!!!

From the moment she wakes up to the moment I let her know in no uncertain terms that it's time to sleep, she is movin'. This ain't no "la la la" skating through the day kind of movin', this is hardcore, get outta my way, I can't sing unless I dance in a tight circle, and I can't dance in a circle unless you move with me, Mom...no wait, sure I can! Being tangled in 5 wires is FUNNY! No, what's funny is watching Mommy try to untangle the wires while I take off down the hall (yep, I can run with cords wrapped around my middle) while she zoom pulls my IV pole behind her, shouting "Wait! Wait! Stop! I said STOP! Jill!!!!!!!" And what's even better is that every single person I speed past is rooting for me & grinning. I ROCK. Mom, EAT MY DUST.

Yes folks, this is my child on chemo.

For those of you who haven't gathered, Jill is doing great. She's in perfect health (except for the cancer), and is psychologically sound (some would say a tad off her rocker, but I think that's just a ploy for attention)....oh wait, unless you deny her something precious, such as, playing hide-n-seek, which Matt found out the other day when he turned her down (how can he hide & Jill find him when she is attached to an IV pole? I will tell you later. It is possible.). Ooooooooooh...the wrath of JillyMonster. She was so mad. Crying, stomping the feet, if she was bigger she woulda done somethin' about it, kinda mad. She is getting used to the fact that she has a friend around every bend, so Mommy has been allowed more frequent solo trips to the bathroom without the agonizing worry of "Is she okay with _____?" Her interests are evolving....I have withheld Wizard of Oz for the past 3 weeks, and though she is still fascinated with the characters, giving them rides on her push car (which I am officially renaming "Turbo Blaster"), making every doll or little character in a play sequence "Dorothy", "Taretow", "Tin Man", "Yion", "Dinda", or "Wickee Wisssss", and performing the "Lollipop Guild" with gusto, complete with imaginary handing of said lollipop to her audience (though, rarely on command, so don't be disappointed if she won't perform it for you). Her favorite movie (and sometimes, the only workable distraction) is now "Totoro", a Japanese anime-style movie about, as Jilli will tell you, "2 Sistuhs, a Daddy, and a Big Wabbit". She continues to love books, and is especially into Fairy Tales....she LOVES retelling the stories "Goldilocks & the 3 Bears" & "The 3 Little Pigs". She and Anna were really getting into to acting them out at home (hiding under the laundry basket, "Not by da haya uh mah sinny sinn sinn", then bolting under the easel when the house was blown down), and is really into "Give me 5"....the advanced version. I say "Give me 5" (she does), I raise my hand & say "Up high", she then moves my hand down & says, "Down Yo", then when I pull my hand away before she can hit it, she bursts "You too syo!! You too syo!!". She's actually the "too slow" one, but refuses to accept this.

Fun fun fun. But seriously, I am delighted that she is feeling good and seemingly unphased (so far) by the toxicity that is taking over her cells. If she were really hurting, this whole experience would be so much harder to handle.

I would like to encourage people to visit. Of course, calling first is always a good idea...we never know when she could turn for the worse. We are not lonely, by any means....always moving, always busy with something, but I would love for my friends & family (especially those who haven't stopped by already, although repeat guests are always welcome!!) to see what I'm sayin'. To experience her is a joy. I don't think that's just the mommy in me talking. So, if you are in the mood for laugh, and don't mind speed-walking up & down the hall with us, taking part in various "games", & especially if you have new songs, games, crafts, or other ideas up your sleeve, we would love to see you.

We are in Room 331 (at the end of the hall, just before you get to the Playroom), next to the window (AAAAAAA-LE-LU-IA!). Our phone # is 562-933-8332, although I am more likely to answer my cell (when it's charged!) 310-748-4378. If you cannot get ahold of me and will settle for my darling husband (who also welcomes visitors....and I've been trying to get him to post to this blog, but he is more of a private person, and though he doesn't mind ME sharing, is not necessarily all that into posting his deep thoughts on the World Wide Web)...his cell is 310-846-7254. If all else fails, you can try the Nurse's Station on the Ped HemOnc (Pediatric Hematology/Oncology) floor: 562-933-8500. We're always here, except when we're not (which is seldom). Again, Michelle's email is squashdiddlydoo@msn.com, if you'd rather your dialogue with me be personal (although anything you say can & will be shared in blog form...I'm kidding). Okay, next up.....the Thank You Diaries......so much to SAY!!!!!

1 comment:

Sandra Avila said...

Yes, all of that amazing energy of Jill's is SO inspiring and so very reassuring. And her constant contented chattering is just precious.

This little girl has the resolve of a soldier...
a really happy one.

Gotta keep marching!