Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pat & Oscar's Fundraiser

Last Thursday night, I had one of the craziest out-of-body experiences ever. I walk into this restaurant....it's PACKED....there are 20 people waiting in line (all with coupons in hand)....I look around....I see someone I know....she smiles & waves energetically....someone at the next table notices.....he waves....it spreads....soon everybody in the place is shooting love in my direction....and it's all for Jill.
My good friend Lisa Rosenbaum organized this event....a full day of Pat & Oscar's in Torrance generously donating 20% of every guest check (with coupon) to the National Marrow Donor Registry, to offset the costs of our Torrance Bone Marrow Drive for Jillian. The manager (pretty lady on the right) told me with a smile and arms full of breadsticks that the joint had been jumpin' since 11:30 am (it was then 7pm) and that the turnout was one of the largest they've seen!!

I haven't had a chance to speak with even a fraction of those who attended, but have heard that almost the entire staff at LAUNCH took part (Lynn even got scolded for handing out coupons to people in line...ooops... thanks for trying Lynn!), Carden Dominion, Anna's preschool, was greatly represented (by staff and parents alike! Anna was over the moon getting to visit with a good chunk of her preschool class all having dinner at the same place!), friends from Pedro, parents of kids I was Speech Therapist to 5 and 6 years ago were there with their (now much bigger) kids & entire families....all to hopefully find a cure for my baby's cancer. It was overwhelming! I felt like I was at my wedding reception (minus the husband, who was holding court at baby's bedside...wish so much that he could have been there). I wish I could have talked to each person more, that I could have somehow really let each & every one know how incredibly HUGE their being there was to me & my family. I continue to be moved beyond belief at the LOVE that surrounds us! How Matt & I have attracted Southern California's most Big-Hearted Cross-Section of people, I will never understand. I just hope all who attended realize what a tremendous impact they made by doing something as simple as ordering a meal.

To the staff of Pat & Oscar's, we extend our deepest thanks for hosting this fundraiser. I received so many wonderful comments about the food, the cleanliness of the place, & the terrific service (even at your busiest, you were smiling & making sure everyone had what they needed). Many people who visited had not been there before, but I can guarantee, they will come back, and bring friends! It's things like this that make a business stand out. Thank you.

(And thanks to Sue Espinosa for buying our dinner, much against my will).

Lisa will let us know soon how well we did.....thank you everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm Sonia the teacher at Launch who sent the cards from my preshool children to Jillian, not a day goes by without one of my children saying" here's a card for Jillian" I've started another collection and will send them soon. I was at Pat& Oscar's Thursday night from 5-8:30. It was pretty much packed all the way to the door. Yes, we were also there passing out flyers :) I had the opportunity to attend with some of the parents from my morning class. It was just an awesome experience to see so many people spreading the LOVE.