Sunday, March 23, 2008

How Could I NOT Share This?????

This is the latest entry from Mary Rutz' Blog....her son Aaron received a bone marrow transplant from his older brother, Adam, just over 2 weeks ago. An incredible miracle has occurred :)

Saturday, March 22nd

We have moved from darkness into the light…

The attending doctor came in today and told Aaron that he could go home before the end of next week. That’s probably LESS THAN FIVE DAYS FROM NOW! Aaron was SOOO excited he was practically jumping off of his bed. The only thing we have to do is change all of his medicines from IV to oral form. As soon as Aaron can show them that he can take all of his meds and his levels stay stable, he can go home.

What a perfect day to hear this news.

We (Aaron and I) celebrated our own little Easter Vigil. We felt at one with the Church as we asked…

Lord have mercy.
Christ have mercy.
Lord have mercy.

All you holy men and women, pray for us…

Lord be merciful…save your people
From all evil…save your people
From every sin…save your people
From everlasting death…save your people
By your incarnation…save your people
By your death and resurrection…save your people
By your gift of the Spirit…save your people
Have mercy on us sinners…save your people

Christ, hear us. Lord Jesus, hear our prayer.

Lord, give new life to your chosen, Aaron, by the grace of his baptism. Lord Jesus and ever living God, send your Spirit in its fullness on Aaron, who believes and professes you.

Christ, hear us. Lord Jesus, hear our prayer.


We watched the video of Aaron’s baptism. It seems so long ago now. Never, ever did I think that I would be sitting where I am tonight, hearing my son renew his own baptismal promises, the ones that we (Michael and I and Sr. Kathy and Barry) made for him when he was a baby.

And then we sang together (oh, you should have heard him):

“Let the poor man say, ‘I am rich in Him.’
Let the lost man say, ‘I am found in Him.’
Oh, let the river flow.
Let the blind man say, ‘I can see again.’
Let the dead man say, ‘I am born again.’
Oh, let the river flow. Oh, let the river flow.
Let the river flow. Let the river flow.
Holy Spirit come. Move in Power.
Let the river flow. Let the river flow.
Let the river flow. Let the river flow.”



Just before he went to bed he asked me, “Mom, do you think the Easter Bunny will remember me here?” In the morbid humor that he and I share I said, “I don’t think the Easter Bunny would forget a kid who has leukemia.” I caught myself just as I finished.

And he said to me, “But Mom, I don’t have leukemia anymore.”


He is sleeping now, but his Easter basket is out. The eggs are hidden all around the room.

We are ready for the new life found on Easter morning.


Happy Easter, everyone.

No comments: