Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sunshine & Thanks

Jill had a pretty great day, all things considered. Turns out her "leg pain" was not about her legs (which makes sense, as most of her leukemia cells are gone now) but a HUGE bruise on her hip bone from the bone marrow draw. She can't sit or lean or lie down without pain meds...and that's okay, cuz give that girl some Morphine, and she's lit!!!! Hoo-HA! Perky as all get out. And FUNNY. Repeats everything you say, with a twist. I say, "Okay?" And she says, "Oeey Dotey Awisotey" (Okey-Dokey Artichokey). I say, "Time for medicine...and then?" She says, "I dwops (eye drops), den bus teef (brush teeth), den doh seep (go sleep)! Otay? Otay!" She does all procedures on dolly first. I say, "Did dolly fuss?" She says, "No fuss!" Then she fusses like a poked & prodded little baby should. Tonight, she left the room for the first time (willingly & not on a stretcher) since Thursday....steppin' out in ruby slippers, clutching her Toto dog & squawking "Hay-Yo!" to every live body she could spot. All the while, Mommy fretted about holding her hand, so she wouldn't fall over (she was weak in the knees) & keeping the IV tubes from coming attached from the pole or the baby. She climbed on chairs (THAT was fun....just 20 adjustments to cords each time she decided to try a new chair), scooted herself (or rather flew down the hall) on a push car, "T'mon Mommy! Yet's DOH!!" and sat for a precious 10 minutes reading while my friend Carla and I wolfed down her incredibly yummy cinnamon spaghetti squash dish (I think I shall dream of that meal tonight :). She played pretend with little people donated by Helena & Jack....these little people are having more in-depth conversations than I have with most of my friends....(who am I insulting? myself? my friends?). So, needless to say, all is right with the world (right now, today) after a pretty messed up falling apart kind of morning (thank you, Rebecca, for being there, hanging up pretty lights when I arrived this morning to an empty baby bed, and no husband....Jill's lumbar puncture had been moved back & I would have freaked out, not knowing this, if she had not been there....and thanks for staying, and listening, and crying with me). And while we're on the subject of thanks, many are due so far....I fear I will forget someone, so forgive me if it's you (maybe you just need to try harder). So in no particular order:

Kristi, for being my LAUNCH liason, for organizing & posting & being the dreaded "contact person", for taking care of Anna, for coming up with really creative ways to distract her from the drama, for making copies of keys (more than once?), for showing up at the hospital at just the right time (while Jill was in surgery) buying coffee & taking our mind off of the worst disaster ever to hit our family. And for continuing to hold us up & support us (along with Ian, the Care Package King, and darling Keili, the Opposite Twin....oh yeah, and Keira, that little bundle of cuteness)

Dina & Jim, for caring so much for all of us....taking Anna to swim lessons and taking care of her whenever asked....for offering to rearrange your schedule & quit other responsibilities (many of which, you shouldn't have in the first place...I'm just sayin'....). For lending my mom your car during these next 2 weeks (and thanks to Paul & Sharon for lending theirs to Dina...and for the fridge, which we're not allowed to have), and for all the glorious meals you're going to make us over the next few days (I'm just kidding....no you didn't sign up & forget).

Shana for being there to listen on my worst night ever when visitors aren't allowed and all I can do is stare at the clock & listen to the beeps & watch my sick baby's chest rise and fall. And for coming as soon as you possibly could the next morning even though Mike was cantoring at church, which he cancelled. For the organizational tools, books & toys....food....delicious soup! And for the only pics I have up so far...because I just haven't gotten to it...those sweet babies of yours make me smile every time I enter the room.

Rebecca, see above! You really saved me this morning!

Jack, for the 10 cans of Mandarin Oranges, which are the only thing Jill has eaten since starting chemo. For the wipes, the books (she LOVES the Tails book!), and other misc. goodies. And for the Heineken. You're going to get us kicked out of here, dude.

Ann for the gobs & gobs of decorations which I have yet to put up....and the means with which to do so (you think of EVERYTHING)....the darling books....lift the flaps & pull the thingies are a big hit!....for thinking of Anna, for lunch....for this year's Halloween costume (looks like there'll be 2 Dorothy's in our family this year) & your presence.

Rhonda, for picking my Mom up from the airport & being the first of gobs of friends to make such a lasting impression on her. I'm pretty proud of all of you.....it's fun to show you off!! And for setting up the blog. I never would've thought of this...does anyone actually read this malarky?

Michelle, for appearing at the door out of the clear blue with the first signs of blood donation written all over the crook of your arm and for deciding to drag a bunch of your fellow civilian soldiers out to the hospital on Friday to donate. For chillin' with me, for identifying with me, for making me laugh, & for your promise of future visits (turns out you can do an overnight as long as you're over 18!).....and I've only met you 3 times before. You so rock.

Aunt Mary Wonderful, for the sweet lilt in your voice that makes me feel like I'm home, for your unwavering certainty that our Little Luna will squash all the bad bugs, for the songs, for the zerbertz, for the art projects already swimming in your head, for the assurance that you'll be here soon cleaning my toilet.

Aunt Annie for reminding me that if you can beat the odds at the slot machine, you can certainly beat cancer. For your no doubt attitude that she'll do it with both hands tied behind her back & one foot in the air. And for making fun of how computer illiterate you are even though I set you up to fail. Don't listen to me....email Kristi....she knows EVERYTHING.

Aunt Sue for the words of encouragement, the art projects to come, the hope for Thanksgiving.

Aunt Deb for always being positive & for keeping me informed.

Aunt Grace for the gentle words of encouragement.

My sisters Beth & Renee, for feverishly planning fundraisers and we're only 5 days in.

Jannah & Cristina for coming on the first night I was on my own here....for holding Jill while Matt & I got "educated" about what a terrible illness this is, for helping me schlep to another room in under 5 minutes, for listening, for holding me up.

Claire, for popping up so many times so far to encourage, and make sure about things. It's so great to know so many nurses!

Dad & Mom, OF COURSE, (I almost didn't mention you...you're a given!) for coming to the rescue on a dime. Mom, it sucks you can't come to the hospital with your cold...you've got 2 weeks to kick it!! But it's so nice for Anna & us to have you around...thanks for all your help so far....Dad, you're a real PriceChopper. I commend your bravery bidding low. Now you can come visit 5 more times!

For all the other friends & family who've called, written, prayed, made meals, and especially to those friends of friends who don't even really know us (thank you Renee. what a sweet surprise), you are all so incredible. I am so tired I cannot see straight....I'm sure tomorrow I will realize how many people I failed to mention. I do not trust that I can keep up with all of this goodness.....you're just all going to have to believe that Matt & I are amazed & so grateful for what you have done & what you plan to do for us in this, the most trying time of our lives. We could not do this without you!

8 comments:

Laura said...

Michelle, Matt, Anna and Jill,
I just wanted you to know that your friends here in St. Louis are thinking of you too! I wish I could be there to help, and I just keep thinking of Jillian every time I look at my Alice b/c they are so close in age and similar to each other. We're thinking of Anna too, b/c I'm sure this is difficult for big sis. We're here for you, in whatever way you need us to be. Take care of yourselves, as best you can.

Jessica said...

Hey guys,
I don't know Laura but all the fam and friends in STL deffinately miss you guys and wish we could be there too to help!! Michele we're getting the collection cans out to Jack in the Box and Cecil's hopefully this week and also at my work ( I'm thinking the hospital will bring lots of donations esp. with the DARLING pic of Jill you sent!!) Hang in there and give the Califonia fam lots of hugs and kisses or as A. Mary would say ZERBERTS to all.
Love, Jess
P.S. Sorry Michele in advance for bad spelling and grammer but it should give you sth. else to think about for a while (ha ha) But I love this site and I try to check it frequently to see whats up and I love the pics you post. It helps keep the hope alive and well - your girls are beautiful!!!

Jessica said...

Hey 1 more thing... I think our theme is gonna be Jelly Beans for Jilly Bean. I thought it was cute and I'm handing out Jelly beans with donnations rec'd. Love you guys- Jess

why isn't there a spell check on this damn thing?!?!

Deb Baumgartner said...

Never think that you aren't loved, girl! Look at this response! Praise God for all of the goodness that comes through and above all the bad...We love you, Chelle and Matt. Let us know if there is anything that we can do...kisses to your girls...

Sandra Avila said...

We were so glad that we got to visit today. Little Jilli looked so sweet. Please let us know if anything comes up that we might do. I hope Ana's and Gramma's sniffles clear soon.

Lots of love and sincere prayers.

shorty1326 said...

Hey Chelle, long time no talk. It's Shorty. Tim was telling me about your little Jillian. I just want you to know I'm praying for you guys. I miss you all so much and hope someday we can catch up! If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call. Tim has my number. I mean it, anything! My thoughts and prayers are with you all and I miss you dearly. You can always email me at shorty1326@hotmail.com. Love you guys! -Shorty-

Leah said...

Matt, Michelle, Anna and Jill
I am thinking about you all and send all good thoughts, positive energy and love your way. I will do what ever I can do to help...and will be donating blood this next week.
Please call on me for anything
hugs
Leah

Elle said...

Michelle, Matt, Anna, and Jill,

Your Texas friends are here for you!! I wish we could be there to to give you all a huge hug!!! We love you and y'll are in our prayers!
Nick, Eldris, Mathew, Andrew, and Chloe Griffin